Friday, May 1, 2009

Cheap Doings This Weekend in NYC

Unemployment: Day 84 in Business Days; Day 116 in Human Days

It's been 7 hours and 116 days...since they took my job away.

It's Friday and there's still a recession.  We're all looking for some inexpensive ways to pass a lovely NYC weekend.  Here are some cheap goings-on that I've found.

The Festival runs through Sunday, so you've still got time to check out a few flics.  You can purchase tix online, but if it's the day of the show, you'll have to just show up at the theater an hour beforehand and cross your fingers.  That's what I did last night for the 11pm show of Midgets vs. Mascots.  This shockumentary is not for the politically correct or faint of heart.  I'm fairly certain many midgets and mascots were harmed in the making of it.  But hot damn, did I laugh my ass off.  Who knew Gary Coleman had a third leg?!  Don't ask, just go see it.  There are two more shows - Saturday at 11:30pm and Sunday at 10:30pm, both at AMC Village VII.  See the trailer and purchase tickets here.

This fantabulous band is putting on a free show Friday night (tonight!) at 11pm at Spike Hill in Williamsburg.  If my last bus back to da Bronx weren't at midnight, I would so be there.  Go check out their "special brand of punk soul americana" for FREE!  They're worth a trip out to hipster-land, I promise.




On the first Saturday night of every month, this group hosts an evening of hilarious short films. They're back this Saturday night with 6 new movies and their very first short from Norway!  Join them for the screening at 8pm and after party at 92YTribeca.  Tickets are $10, which is still cheaper than going to see the latest shitty blockbuster for $12.50.  



BAMcafé Live is holding a free comedy night on Saturday, May 2 at 9:30pm as part of their 1- Year Anniversary celebration.  The lineup looks great (including Wyatt Cenac from The Daily Show), so I plan to schlep my ass from da Bronx to Brooklyn to check this out.  Did I mention that it's FREE???!!!

Being jobless and poor is no excuse to sit on your fat ramen butt and watch every incarnation of Law & Order all weekend.  Elliott and Olivia will still be there on Monday, I promise.  Get up, go out and save some moolah!

Interested in having me write about your cheap NYC doings here?  Email me!  It's easier than writing yet another cover letter and I'm way cuter than your recruiter.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment